11.13.2009

A Sad Story


Chinese Ornaments, originally uploaded by Bridget Wang.
My parents in-law used to own a very nice Chinese furniture and ornament shop in New Jersey. Due to the economy, they had to close it down recently. Jesse and I went there to helped them move everything to a warehouse last month.

It was so sad to see it happening. The business had been around for more than 50 years. It was first opened by Jesse's grandmother who was the first generation in the family that immigrated to America. I remembered when I was in the shop, a lady came in with her daughter telling me that she still remembers coming into the store with her father when she was a little girl. There were many old customers that visited the shop during it's final weeks who told us how much they will miss the store once it's gone.

There are a lot of businesses closing down these days, it almost seems like the norm, but having it happen in your own family is another story. But life will go on, and perhaps once the economy gets better the shop will reopen again. I can only hope for the best.

No comments: